The Helene G. Simon Hillel Center at Indiana University is the center for Jewish life on campus and is the Jewish home away from home at IU. Our Hillel staff often serve as a surrogate family and mentors, work with students to implement creative programming on campus and inside Hillel, provide Kosher meals, offer meaningful and creative holiday observances, and provide multiple entry points through fun engagement opportunities.
In order to gain more insight into serving the students at Indiana University, we look to the input and partnership of our Parent Advisory Board. The Parent Advisory Board is a group of parents of current IU students. It functions as a think-tank for Hillel, raising concerns or offering ideas for ways to improve the Jewish community on campus and better reach out to IU’s Jewish students. And with Club Dor L’Dor (From Generation to Generation) Hillel’s Parent and Grandparent Clubs—Hillel is able to implement many of those ideas. We look to the parents to help shape the direction and further develop the goals and purpose of this board.
All Parents Advisory Board members must join IU Hillel’s Parents Club and are encouraged to join at either the CLUB DOR L’DOR HONOR CIRCLE (highest) level ($5000) or the DOUBLE PLATINUM CHAI-GIVER ($1800) level in order to be financial stakeholders as well as parent leaders. For those who are unable to give at this level, we ask them to reach out to others to raise the difference.
Benefits of joining Parents Club at these levels are:
- Birthday Cake on his/her birthday
- Hanukkah Package a goody-filled package of tasty Hanukkah treats
- Kosher for Passover Package filled with Passover snacks and treats
- Finals Week Package of treats to munch on during finals (both semesters)
- Purim Package filled with Purim treats
- Matzah Ball Soup delivery
Parent Advisory Board members will be invited to join four conference calls throughout the year, including one optional in-person meeting. We have an open door hoping that parents will visit. We always welcome all parents to visit and join us for Shabbat meals and all other events throughout the year.
We will reach out to all Parent Advisory Board members to work on a project of their choice. Possible ways for Parent Advisory Board members to make a tremendous impact on Hillel and Jewish life on campus are:
- Work with other Parent Advisory Board members and parents in your area to host events for other parents and students in your community
- Serve on the Parent Advisory Board Executive Council
- Help us meet and identify the incoming freshmen from your community
- Work with Hillel staff and other Parent Advisory Board members to plan alumni events
- Help Hillel staff build our Shabbat Sponsorship program
- Use your skills and interests to impact IU Hillel in a way that is personally meaningful