One day as Honi the Circle Maker was walking down the road, he saw an old man planting a carob tree. Honi asked him, “How long will it take for this tree to bear fruit?”
The old man replied, “70 years.”
And, Honi replied, “And do you think you will live long enough to eat the fruit of this tree?”
The old man answered, “Perhaps not. But when I was born, I found many carob trees planted by my father and grandfather. Just as the planted trees for me, I am planting trees for my children and grandchildren so that they will be able to enjoy eating the trees’ fruit. Then it will be up to them to plant more trees for future generations.”
And, so this has been the Jewish tradition ever since.
The Life & Legacy program is a partnership between the Harold Grinspoon Foundation, the Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis, IU Hillel and 12 other central Indiana Jewish organizations with the mission of strengthening and assuring that IU Hillel and the Jewish Community will have a strong and vibrant tomorrow. The Grinspoon Foundation and the Jewish Federation are providing training, support and even a financial incentive to IU Hillel for participating.
LIFE & LEGACY assists communities across North America, through partnerships with Jewish Federations and Foundations, to promote after-lifetime giving to benefit Jewish day schools, synagogues, social service organizations and other Jewish entities.
How Do I Leave My Legacy?
Why should you include IU Hillel in your estate planning?
How do you participate?
- Reflect on your Jewish passions and your vision for a Jewish future.
- Have a conversation with a member of the Life and Legacy team (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Think about ways to leave a future gift that makes the most sense for you and your family.
- Sign a Letter of Intent.
- Formalize your commitment by making the relevant change(s) to your will, retirement account beneficiaries, life insurance policy or other estate plan. It can be a percentage or specific dollar amount.
- Enjoy the appreciation of IU Hillel and become a member of the IU Hillel Legacy Society.
- Enjoy the feeling that comes from knowing you have taken a wonderful and important step of planting the seeds to assure a Jewish tomorrow at IU Hillel and beyond